Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Thank you for being a friend: A Tribute to my Sisters!


I tend to surround myself with 2 types of women.  Women who are like me, and women like whom I aspire to be.  Most women that are a part of my inner circle fall into one of these two categories.  This doesn't necessarily mean women who "look" like me, "act" like me, or even share most of my values. You would be surprised to learn the simple, seemingly attenuated characteristics I share in common with some of my closest friends.  What it does mean, is that I have an arsenal of diverse, intellectual, ingenious, gorgeous, multi-potentialite sisters in my corner to support my dreams, exchange ideas, and enhance my life in countless ways.  This is not something I take for granted.  Whenever I meet a woman who says she has no real girlfriends, my heart breaks for her.  What would my life be without all of the strong women who have helped to shape it.  I can pick up my iPhone and receive solid advice regarding love, parenthood, finance, fashion, spirituality, fitness and mental health from women who are subject-matter experts in all the aforementioned fields, and whom I also consider to be my dear friends.  My girlfriends have literally saved my life on countless occasions.  Special recognition goes to my line sister who literally saved my life once or twice! :-)




Just today, I was moved to call one of my closest sister-friends just to tell her that I was grateful for her friendship.  As I reflected on the positive life force that she has been in the few years we've been acquainted, and how supportive she's been of my recent quest in pursuit of happiness, I couldn't deny the urge to just let her know!  If I had to choose one word to describe her, it would be unbreakable!  She is an amazing project manager, with such an aptitude for system development, while at the same time, a natural hair blogger, aspiring photographer and masterful karaoke performer.  I had flashbacks of all that she had endured over the last few years, surviving a nasty divorce, major career shifts, and learning how to love herself and another man again.  I felt a deep admiration for her strength, and a sense of pride for her victories. So I picked up the phone in the middle of the day, and was pleasantly surprised when she answered.  I shared my innermost thoughts with her and she was sincerely touched by my words. I thought about how many times I've neglected to do that when the fleeting thought came to my mind about a great friend with whom I lost touch, and then it hit me!  

I want to end this beautiful year and flow into the next, celebrating my sister-friends!  Over the next few weeks, I will be posting profiles of the multipotentialite ladies in my life that keep me grounded, keep me sane, keep me laughing and keep me grateful.  I hope that you will find them as inspiring as I do, and that their life-songs will strike a chord in you.  As we prepare to celebrate the old and usher in the new, my hope for you is that 2016 will be a year full of deferred dreams actualized and best wishes come true!  

So let's hear it for the girls!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment